This post may contain affiliate links which means we may receive a commission if you purchase through our links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
As parents, we know that your time is limited. Driving for dollars during nap time is a great way to kill two birds with one stone!
Driving for Dollars
For those of you who may not know, driving for dollars is a popular real estate term where you drive around an area looking for potential properties to purchase. Most of the time, you’re looking for distressed properties, but possibly you may find something for sale by owner as well that isn’t market well.
Without having anything scientific to quote, as a father, I can confidently say that both our daughters fall asleep easier in a vehicle. They are at an age where nap time is about 1-2 hours each afternoon. Tabitha contact naps with the girls most of the time, but we’ve found that driving around allows the girls to sleep just as well and sometimes better!
Driving for Dollars During Nap Time
Not only do the girls sleep well, but Tabitha and I also get to spend some extra quality time together. The combination of the two activities allows us to converse and also look for potential investments.
Steps to take
- Load the kid(s) into the car
- Pick a town that’s 20-30 minutes away and drive there
- Guys – use this time wisely! The windshield time on your way there is the time to have those conversations!
- Keep an eye out for distressed properties with:
- Tall grass or overgrown vegetation
- Mail or newspapers piled up
- deferred maintenance
- Make note of the address of any properties you find and take pictures!
- We love using our Galaxy Tablet for the photos and keeping track of the properties on Google Sheets, but any smartphone works just as well!
- Market your lead or attempt to contact the owner
- The easiest place to start is to check the property taxes on the county website.
- Check out this article from Bigger Pockets or a deeper dive into how to accomplish this.
- Don’t forget to unload the kid(s) when you get home!!
Even if you don’t happen to find a property, at least you spent quality time with your family and got to explore a new area!